Your “5 things you should never do in a DCT vehicle”.

Your “5 things you should never do in a DCT vehicle”.

Neil (BenzieB)
G’day Jayson,
Love your clear and detailed explanations of how our vehicles work and how we should be driven.
However I am a bit confused with one of the explanation you provided in the “5 things you should never do in a DCT vehicle”. (June 29, 2016)
I specifically refer to your explanation of what happens when the vehicle come to a stop ‘at traffic lights’ for instance; you said that both clutches will be disengaged effectively putting the transmission in neutral; I don’t believe this can correctly be described as effectively in neutral.
What happens is whichever clutch is engaged as the vehicle slows to a stop (and it could be either one) will simply be disengaged at an appropriate time, but the transmission doesn’t switch out of the last gear it was in and into neutral.
I have a Mercedes-Benz B200 W246, and I can see that the display tells me the transmission still has a gear selected, usually first or second, and if after I have stopped I manually select neutral, I can feel a slight load come off the engine, which I believe would be the drag coming off the clutch that had been connected to the gear that had previously remained selected.
Doing this probably saves a bit of fuel but if I was concerned about that I would be using the ECO Auto Stop/Start function, which I don’t.
My question is,,,, am I actually wearing out more stuff by the action of switching to neutral than if I just left my foot on the brake (I usually engage auto ‘brake hold’), I mean if we consider things like the gear select switch, the selector solenoids, the gear selector mechanisms and synchronizing rings?
Finally, I have previously owned manual vehicles and I am in the habit of down shifting as I slow to a stop, i.e. using engine breaking to save break wear, do you think this practice is detrimental to the longevity of my B200?
Very Best regards, Neil (BenzieB) (Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia)