Units of Torque are Confusing

CNG Injun
I have always referred to the unit of torque as "foot pounds", but have been noticing that a lot of people refer to the unit as "pounds feet". It just sounds strange to me since I have always called it the other way. I'm a mechanical engineer and Newton Meters sounds correct since I used it so many times in college, but for some reason I never thought about saying the length unit first when using imperial units. Looking it up, everyone explains the difference between work (ft lbs or joules) and torque (lbs ft or Nm) and that they should not be confused....but if you look on most every torque wrench and dyno graph, the torque will be expressed as ft lbs and inch lbs. What's the deal?