Mechanic vs Mechanical Engineer- intended for Jason

Mechanic vs Mechanical Engineer- intended for Jason

Bradley
I apologize in advance if you prefer a different method of contact, but after having searched you on google to find more out about your credentials and story, I came across your page titled "about me" on your website. To make a long story short I browsed around and happened to come along the crisis I am facing at this moment in my life. The question posed in your FAQ stated if someone should become a mechanic or a mechanical engineer. I scrolled through probably for a half an hour looking at your responses, as well as other users responses to see if I could find a similar situation. In light of coming across your post (I am religious and feel God pointed me in the right direction), I would like to try to keep this brief for both of our sakes, I know your life is probably beyond busy.   I am a 22 year old male living in north central   Wisconsin. Its a town sized at about 40,000 people. To summarize I know I will not be happy long-term here due to the long winters and the depression that I have struggled with for most of my young life. My dream is to be able to do my own line of work and live in a state like georgia or california. I love the idea of being on the beach and the whole lifestyle. With that being said, I don't know if the pay rate of a mechanic would suit a lifestyle like that. I plan on having a family someday, and maybe a child or two. I almost gave up the thought of a mechanic after listening to people on forums say that its a back-breaking job, they're miserable, the pay sucks, yada yada. So I considered engineering in terms that the pay would probably meet my goals/ expectations of my future plans. The problem is I'm not good with math. Yes, I know many people have showed concern with that on that post. My question is not which one I should pursue (that's up to me to figure out), but my real question(s) are:   Can you love engineering enough to push through the math or do you need to be good at it like born gifted with A's in math and science classes. Because that definitely wasn't me. I was good at english and art, but always loved building with legos and knowing how things got put together. Now as I'm older I see it as a huge rewarding skill. I'm afraid if I pursue becoming a mechanic, I'll fall into the trap of well, feeling trapped working a job I don't like (more the caliber of people) and trying to get out. This leads me to my other main question. If i love the work of being  a mechanic, and just am not cut out to be a ME due to the math portion, could I actually make good money suited to the future that I want? I know this is broad but I'm trying to keep it short and respect your time and what you do. It would honestly be a blessing to hear back from you. I never knew people like yourself were out there helping so many others on the internet until i started digging.    Thank you for all that you do for others across the world, you've helped people like me come closer to a future I thought would take years to figure out. Hope to hear from you soon. God bless.

-this was originally intended in hopes of a direct response from Jason himself, but seeing how busy he must be I could use any other feedback, serious answers only. Thank you